Cultivating Your Financial Well-Being
- December, 2018
- Financial Wellness
If you are like many of us, the holidays can be both special and stressful. The winter holidays seem to bring more financial stress than other times of the year. Consider the tips below to create a personalized plan for you.
- Discuss what the holidays mean to you and your loved ones. Create meaningful traditions such as spending quality time together or volunteering together. Instead of trying to give the “perfect” meal or gift, keep it simple and realistic.
- Make a plan. Create a detailed shopping list that works within your budget and track each purchase. Research online for gift deals for each person or party you are attending. Consider using cash or a debit card to avoid going over budget. Give yourself an allowance to use for fun purchases or activities.
- Be creative by making gifts, doing an activity together, or having a gift exchange where you pick one name instead of buying everyone a gift.
- Schedule time for self-care. Make sure you are getting enough sleep to keep up with the busy season, watch a funny show, listen to relaxing or uplifting music, and/or practice deep-breathing exercises.
- Remember you are not alone. If you are feeling overwhelmed about your financial stress, talk to someone you trust about your concerns.
- It’s never too early to plan ahead for the New Year. Purchase items such as wrapping paper and cards during the post-holiday sales. Assess your debt and create your next holiday budget in January. Divide the amount by 12 months to begin setting aside money for the next year!
Visit the EAP website to see the many resources available, including educational webinars, stress management tools, and financial wellness education.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at Ohio State has many options to help you navigate stress. Through EAP, faculty, staff and their dependents are eligible for five complimentary counseling sessions with a counselor on-campus or in your community. Call 800-678-6265 to learn more information. Visit the EAP website and type in username "buckeyes" to see the many resources available, including educational webinars, stress management tools, and financial wellness education.