We are often creatures of habit. When we go grocery shopping, we tend to buy the same fruits, veggies, protein, grains, etc. We also tend to make the same recipes over and over again. This pattern can get boring, sometimes causing us to turn to comfort foods and eat out more often than we want. Here are some tips to jazz up your cooking routine, help get out of your comfort zone, and try new things:
- Buy one new veggie or fruit each week when you go grocery shopping, or one that you haven’t had in a while
- Try one new recipe each week
- Pair new foods with foods that you are comfortable with, so not everything is new, different and/or intimidating.
- Change around a recipe you use often by adding different veggies, protein, sauces, marinades and/or spices for a new taste
- Modify a favorite comfort food recipe to make it healthier. For example, instead of just chicken and dumplings, add sautéed spinach with it
- Pair up with one to two coworkers and take turns bringing lunches or snacks for each other, along with the recipes
- Buy a new cooking magazine or cookbook, or find a website to get new recipe ideas
Try this recipe below for a quick and healthy weekday meal:
4 big portabella caps - stems removed
3 handfuls arugula
½ cup cherry tomatoes - cut into quarters
¼ cup Kalamata olives - cut into quarters
2-3 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Goat or blue cheese, crumbled - optional
Fresh herbs of your choice - basil, thyme, parsley, etc.
- Sautee portabella mushrooms in 1-2 tbls. olive oil, salt and pepper- cooks on each side 3-4 minutes until cooked through and juicy.
- In another small pan sauté 1 tbls. olive oil, arugula, tomatoes, olives, and herbs until cooked through- 3-5 minutes.
- Put portabella caps facing up and top with arugula mixture.
- Sprinkle with goat or blue cheese and salt and pepper to taste
Join OSU Health Coach, Lindsay on Wednesdays, June 10 through July1 from 11:30 am to noon for the Group Health Coaching series “Recipes, Recipes and MORE Recipes!” We'll take a more in-depth look into finding healthy recipes and sharing and receiving recipes to add more variety to your weekly meals. Click here to sign up today.